Luis Borunda’s Thesis summary
10.06.2017. Week06_Jeremy Ficca, Josh Bard, Mary-Lou Arscott
Intro to collaboration framework
Intro to Research’s workflow setup
Intro to building scale in Research
The practice of every day life : Michel de Certeau
Jeremy: As per Nervi example, where load distribution informs structure, where columns fall is informed. So that Celular structure distribution is no more a plate. By evaluating performance caution with spatial condition.
ML: Regarding Informal settlements and specificity of dwelling, an optimized model of living is utterly specific and disregards that socially there is way more NUANCE.
Reference: Michel De Certeau, The practice of every day life. A study in Paris of how people occupy the appartments
Complication is that so optimal runs against LIFE UNFOLDING or LIFE WITH VERY LITTLE RESOURCES.
Josh: As Luis thesis focuses in structural specificity and Hyper-tailored. Manuel on Multimodal constrains. Task to overlap both and
– Not to reduce to optimal but layer many many considerations, as per the diagram “to see more numbers”.
– More layers of Space
– As designers, the hardest problem is to work with so many constrains not closed efficiency just one of many considerations.
Homed in Structural Performance, a dialogue on how to negotiate on one side Structural Performance Main driver against Multimodal Constrains main driver on the other.
- Generic against Hyper-tailored to individual on many computational tools the question of is the System Hackable arises.
- As per the dominant structura in the US is that of structural Stick Frame that provides flexibility.
- Hackable because of Redundance.
- Geometry and material invite to scenarios such as Puddle (blowtorch melt) as hacking strategy
- Or could it be grown into that Form? As a kind of tethering.
Jeremy: Vexing Generic and specific, Manuel’s democratizing so tailred pattens of use and specific site conditions challenge relevance to someone else. The Generic transcend moment in time, fundamental value of Architecture, transcend individual needs so the challenge is to make relevant to someone else by establishing a position for what the Drivers for Specificity are. So instead of Habitation driver one may study:
Robustness of the system or
Mary Lou: Computational drivers as economy become more robust. To have a system where it can grow as Honeycomb, that it grows when GIVEN THE SPACE.
Josh: In the FYI, Post industrial chain industrialization, you print your part so you hack your space, now that you have the tools.
Jeremy: Offsite prefabrication requires that hacking and adjustments happen on site of / for NUANCES. How to consider logistics? So there is a much broather time scale. Act upon transformation, retransforming mockups.
PIPES drive how to fit that space as PREPOSITIO AT DESIGN.
Manuel: Ultimately introducing a puzzle of hierarchies (destruction of hierarchy reconfiguration of hierarchies, while targeting continuity and non hierarchical)